I do everything I can to save money on gas. Here is a list of 11 ways to save money on gas.
- Check out gasnearu.com or gasbuddy.com. This will probably help most people out there, but unfortunately I live in a very small town so there aren't very many listings for where I live. But if you live in a more populated area, sites like these might come in handy.
- Try to fill up during the week. A lot of gas stations raise their prices on the weekend and during holidays.
- Obviously the more weight you have in your car, the more gas you're going to use. Because of this some people only fill the tank up half way, because a full tank of gas weighs more than half a tank.
- Avoid accelerating a lot. A car consumes more gas when it's accelerating and many people are in such a hurry that they constantly hit the gas and stop, hit the gas and stop, and so on. Drive a little slower and keep more distance between you and the other car. If you can manage to drive at a consistent slower speed you won't have to hit the brake so much and you won't have to accelerate over and over.
- Turn off your air conditioner.
- Reduce the weight in your vehicle.
- If you're stuck in traffic turn your car off. There is no reason to keep it running (unless you're in a cold environment).
- Drive under 60 mph.
- Be sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Your air filter needs to be inspected at each oil change (which is usually every 3,000 miles). Replacing a clogged filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10 percent.
- Get your oxygen sensors checked. Bad oxygen sensors can cause your car to use more fuel than necessary.