Monday, November 15, 2010

Saving Money on Food with Angel Food Ministries

I thought a post about Angel Food Ministries would be a great first post for this blog, especially since it's November and many people are going to need food for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Angel Food Ministries is a non-profit group that helps feed over 500,000 families. They're a nondenominational Christian group that is located in 43 states.

A lot of people think you have to meet low income requirements to get food from this group, but that isn't the case. According to angelfoodministries.com
"Angel Food is available in a quantity that can fit into a medium-sized box at $30 per unit. Each month's menu is different than the previous month and consists of both fresh and frozen items with an average retail value of approximately $60. Comparison shopping has been done across the country in various communities using a wide range of retail grocery stores and has resulted in the same food items costing from between $42 and $78."
"There are no qualifications, minimums, income restrictions, or applications."
"Generally, one unit of food assists in feeding a family of four for about one week or a single senior citizen for almost a month. The food is all the same high quality one could purchase at a grocery store. There are no second-hand items, no damaged or out-dated goods, no dented cans without labels, no day-old breads and no produce that is almost too ripe."
They have a different menu every month. Here is the menu for this month:


  • 4 lb. IQF Leg Quarters


  • 4 oz. Beef Back Ribs


  • 1 lb. 80/20 Lean Ground Beef


  • 2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders


  • 1.5 lb. Bone in Pork Chops (4 x 6oz.)


  • 1 lb. Ground Turkey


  • 18 oz. Stuffed Manicotti (Cheese)


  • 12 oz. Smoked Sausage


  • Betty Crocker Seasoned Potatoes


  • 7 oz. Cheeseburger Dinner


  • 16 oz. Green Beans


  • 16 oz. Baby Carrots


  • 2 lb. Onions


  • 1 lb. Pinto Beans


  • 1 lb. Rice


  • 7 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix


  • 10 ct. Homestyle Waffles


  • Dessert Item

  • Sounds pretty good if you ask me. You can place an order for a box by going to angelfoodministries.com and searching for the closest site near you. In most cases you can order your food directly online (paying with a debit or credit card). You have to pick up your order from the site though (they can't ship directly to you).

    I think this is a great option for anyone that needs to save money on food. Most of us are used to clipping coupons and looking for deals, but after a while that can get really tiresome. And most of the time the only coupons you can find are for things you don't really want or need anyway. Personally, I've been using coupons from redplum.com and mypoints.com and I usually only save about a dollar or two on each grocery trip. Of course, every cent counts but I think this might be a better way to save money on groceries.

    If you're interested in getting involved with Angel Food Ministries there is plenty of information on their website about job openings and about how to become a host site.

    2 comments:

    1. Angel Food Ministries is good too because I buy the produce box for $23 and it the equivalent in the grocery store is usually about $10 more. I don't buy the other boxes because it is food we won't eat. I clip coupons when I grocery shop but there are never coupons for produce so being able to buy it at a less expensive cost is great.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yeah, I print coupons to try to save money but they hardly ever have coupons for anything that I actually use...so I end up saving about 2 or 3 dollars at the most, which is better than nothing I guess...but if I ever learn to cook better, I'll probably just buy all my food from them...but I suck at cooking and I have a full time job so I usually end up buying stuff I can microwave or eat out of a box lol...which isn't very healthy :( So I really need to develop some better eating habits...

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...