Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review of We Be Big

I was looking for a new book to read from BookSneeze.com when I saw We Be Big- The Mostly True Story of How Two Kids From Calhoun County, Alabama, Became Rick and Bubba. If you're not familiar with Rick and Bubba, they run a radio show called (I bet you'll never guess...) Rick and Bubba. I'm very familiar with the show. I haven't listened to it in a long time (because I'm not a morning person and I work an evening shift now) but when I was an EMT everyone I worked with listened to them. Since I'm so familiar with their show I just had to read this book! I can honestly say Rick and Bubba is one of the most unique shows on the radio. They refuse to play crappy music (they don't really play music at all) and if you're tired of hearing about things that don't really matter (celebrity rumors, etc.) then I suggest checking out their show. Listening to their show is like talking to a couple of old friends. They are genuine and you feel like you could just walk up to them and start talking away like you've known them for years.

Anyway, We Be Big is the story of how the show came to be. It's pretty interesting to learn about their childhoods and backgrounds. They talk about some of the mistakes they've made along with way and some of the problems they faced. When they started the Rick and Bubba show, people loved them! But they refused to do what all their bosses wanted (playing the "hits", sticking to a format, etc.) and so they had a lot of issues and the show almost got canceled a few times. But no matter what they were up against, they always maintained a positive attitude and they refuse to be fake. They cover just about every topic imaginable on their radio show and they make no effort to hide their country accents or their faith in God.

A lot of the book is pretty funny. They talk about all the pranks and stunts they used to pull, including getting their fans to call other radio shows and do a shout out to the Rick and Bubba show. But they also talk about some of the horrible things that happened along the way. They talk about the morning of 9/11 and how they put the jokes aside in order to keep the nation informed of what was going on. They also talk about Rick losing one of his children and how they made it through that with the help of their friends and family and their faith in God.

If you are a Christian, you'll really enjoy this book. One of the major parts of We Be Big is that no matter what was going on, they never stopped believing that God had a bigger plan for them. And regardless of what you may personally believe, you really have to admire the fact that they stand up for what they believe in and they refuse to be moulded into people they're not.

(I received a free copy of We Be Big from BookSneeze.com to read and review. I was not compensated for this post. My opinions are entirely my own.)

4 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with Rick and Bubba but might have to check them out. Thank you for the follow and I am returning the favor.

    http://giveawayblogdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining us on Wednesday’s I ♥ Blogging Hop #4, I am your newest follower. Have a wonderful Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newest gfc follower from I <3 Blogging Wednesday hop.
    Please check out my blog and follow me back.
    http://slepperymind.blogspot.com
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following Mommy Time Out

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...