Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas

Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas by Abby Sunderland and Lynn Vincent is an amazing tale of Abby's goal to sail around the world, nonstop, and unassisted. At first glance a story like this seems pretty cut and dry. Someone sets out on an amazing journey and whether they accomplish their goal or not, we all stand back and ooh and ahh without even realizing that there is usually more to the story then we realize and that is certainly the case with Abby Sunderland's campaign to sail around the world.

A big part of the book deals with the fact that Abby and her family were talked about and treated badly for what they were doing. The media especially gave them a hard time. I can understand why people were concerned because after all, Abby was only 16 years old, but it's amazing how people were so quick to accuse the family of forcing their daughter into sailing around the world for fame and money. What a lot of people don't realize is that the entire family spent a lot of time on the sea and it was Abby's dream to sail around the world and no one else's. But she also had a lot of supporters to help encourage her when things were getting hard.

Aside from that, reading about her journey is fascinating. She had a lot of great days and bad days but she says the overall experience was incredible and well worth it. As most people already know, she didn't get to finish sailing the globe. Her boat, Wild Eyes, was hit by a rouge wave which dismasted the boat and did a lot of other damage so she was stranded and had to be rescued. But even before that moment, there were a lot of close calls. Here is an excerpt from one of her terrifying moments. "The wind wailed. Freezing waves broke against my body. Between waves, i was standing in the water, sometimes knee deep. I couldn't stay where I was. I had only one choice: I had to unclip the safety line from my harness. It was a terrifying choice: do it or die...or maybe, do it and die...."

It's a pretty exciting book. I enjoyed this book and I learned a lot about sailing that I didn't know. I think Abby is an amazing person for having the courage to do what she did.

I received a copy of this book from booksneeze.com to review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...