Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Medium Next Door Book Review

I recently got the chance to read and review The Medium Next Door: Adventures of a Real-Life Ghost Whisperer. The book was written by the medium, Maureen Hancock.

I'm going to be completely honest with you...I'm what you'd call a hardcore skeptic. But regardless, I really enjoyed this book and it was enough to make me stop and say "Hmmm, maybe there is something to all this after all?"

As I was reading all these stories about how she helped (and still helps) people connect with their loved ones that have passed away, I was thinking to myself "Well, this is nice and everything, but how do I know this stuff really happened? I don't know these people." But then I read the story of a woman named Gretchan Pyne. Now, I don't know this lady, but as I read the story I immediately remembered reading about what had happened to her daughter.

Years ago when I was an EMT, I was sitting in a waiting room waiting for my patient to be seen by the doctor and I picked up a magazine and read this story about a little girl named Lulu. She died when a bike rack fell on her and crushed her heart. I read all the time, and it isn't very often that a story sticks with me, but I remember trying to hold back tears while reading the story because it's honestly one of the saddest things I've ever heard of. That was what really made me stop and think that maybe there really is more to this life. Maureen helped this woman connect with her daughter and her daughter died in a tragic accident that I actually read about! Gretchan Pyne actually wrote her own detailed account of how Maureen helped her connect with Lulu for inclusion in the book and even from my skeptical point of view it seems completely genuine to me. Even as a skeptic, I would love a chance to see her. I wonder if she would have any messages for me from my friends and loved ones that have passed.

Other than that, the book talks about Maureen's life. She has had some near-fatal accidents, which she believes played a role in helping her connect with the dead. But other than that, she is a typical wife and mother. Like all great mothers, her family comes first, no matter what. But she doesn't just take care of her family and talk to the dead. She is also a holistic healer and does a lot of work with cancer patients and she still makes time to help police with investigations from time to time.

In her book she also discusses whether or not there is a hell, what heaven is like, how our loved ones try to communicate with us, whether or not animals try to communicate with us, and much more.

According to her book, an overly vocal cat can mean there is a spirit around. As it just so happens, my boyfriend and I have a cat that never shuts up! Maybe it's trying to tell us something?

The Medium Next Door: Adventures of a Real-Life Ghost Whisperer is now available in stores and online at Amazon and BarnesAndNoble. I highly recommend this book. It's informative, entertaining, and downright fascinating.

For more information about Maureen Hancock you can check out her site MaureenHancock.com and keep your eye out for her new TV show that is currently being developed. I know I'll definitely check it out!

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...